On July 20, 1969, the Apollo 11 mission ended in the first moon landing ever. And on July 20, 2019, we’re throwing a party underneath our very own man-made moon to celebrate it!
As the only space-themed boutique hotel in St. Louis with an obsession for all things lunar, we’re going all out for the 50th anniversary of the Apollo moon landing. We’re launching the biggest party in the solar system to celebrate this giant leap for mankind, and you’re invited!
Mark your calendars and join us on Saturday, July 20 from 4 – 7 pm for this astronomically awesome event. And, be sure to participate in our COSTUME CONTEST! Wear your best moon and space-themed attire to enter for a chance to win a one-night stay at The Moonrise!
Other party plans include:
- Delicious, free mini moon pies for all attendees
- A free photo booth
- Themed, commemorative t-shirts for sale
- Live DJs
- Moon-themed cocktails and shots
- More surprises in store!
A Trip Down Memory Lane
If you weren’t around to witness Buzz Aldrin’s legendary first steps on the moon, you can read up on a few fast facts and little-known details of the moon landing to get into the spirit before you join us!
- The three astronauts aboard the Apollo 11 were Neil Armstrong, Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin, Jr., and Michael Collins.
- An estimated 600 million people from around the world (about 1/5 of the world’s population) watched the moon landing or listened along on the radio.
- The trip to the moon from Earth took 76 hours. On the eight-day round trip, astronauts had 70 bite-size and dehydrated food items to choose from, including beef stew, spaghetti with meat sauce (Armstrong’s favorite) and scalloped potatoes.
- Armstrong uttered the famous quote, “That’s one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind,” as he became the first human to set foot on the moon.
- Since that mission in 1969, just 12 people have walked on the Moon, four of whom are still living.
- The Apollo program is responsible for giving the world freeze-dried food, Velcro, memory foam, water filters, and shoe insoles designed to make sneakers more comfortable.
We’ve made many more giant leaps in the last 50 years, but it’s always important to remember when it all began.
Our Space-Smitten Boutique Hotel
If you’ve ever been to The Moonrise, you know about our affinity for all things outer space. From display cases full of lunar toys, figurines and memorabilia to the moon artwork in each guest room and our rooftop Twilight Room‘s fiber optic star-covered ceiling, we are truly obsessed with space and all its wonders. And, of course, who could forget the world’s largest man-made moon perched prominently on our roof?
So whether you’re coming down for the moon landing party, a weekend getaway, or a cocktail at our rooftop terrace bar, we hope you enjoy the out-of-this-world atmosphere, our green and pet-friendly hotel practices, and have a stellar experience! Ready to set your course for the greatest hotel in the galaxy? Book your stay today!